The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bug or Feature?  (Read 318 times)

Crunch

Bug or Feature?
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:39:48 pm »
Fighting the trollocs in the no magic area I took a critical hit from there thrown "grenade like object."  It did 70 some points of damage.  I remember not too long ago Ellis took even more damage than that and after reviewing logs said that it was a critical hit.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be an exception to the monsters don't critical PCs rule, but it could convert a lower hit die PC from relatively good health to dead in one hit.

Dorganath

Re: Bug or Feature?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:58:20 pm »
Can you attach the relevant logs to this thread, please?

Crunch

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:24 pm »
Sorry Dorganath.  I didn't save the log.  Guess I should have.  I would have thought it was just one of those things if it hadn't happened to Ellis before.  It doesn't seem to happen very often.  I'll try to see if Ellis kept her log from when it happened.

If it happens again I'll do a screen shot or figure out how to save logs.

Filatus

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:26 pm »
I can confirm that actually. Wasn't aware it might be a bug, but yes, ranged or normal touch attacks made by creatures can do critical damage.

Hardragh was hit for about 180 acid damage once on one of Chongo's quest when an epic critter, critted on an acid bolt.

Ellis

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:36:00 am »
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:04] Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan throws grenade-like weapon.
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Bartholomew Fallowfield attempts Knockdown on Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan : *hit* : (12 + 29 = 41)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Bartholomew Fallowfield attacks Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan : *hit* : (13 + 28 = 41)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Bartholomew Fallowfield damages Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan: 4 (4 Fire)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Bartholomew Fallowfield damages Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan: 30 (24 Physical 6 Acid)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Bartholomew Fallowfield damages Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan: 7 (7 Fire)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Bartholomew Fallowfield damages Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan: 23 (21 Physical 2 Acid)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:05] Ellis Kyudo attacks Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan : *critical hit* : (20 + 19 = 39 : Threat Roll: 18 + 19 = 37)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:06] Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan attempts Ranged Touch Attack on Ellis Kyudo : *critical hit* : (20 + 19 = 39)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:06] Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan damages Ellis Kyudo: 70 (70 Fire)
[Thu Mar 13 21:51:06] Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan damages Ellis Kyudo: 1 (1 Fire)

[Thu Mar 13 21:51:06] Ellis Kyudo damages Trolloc of the Bloody Claw Clan: 33 (33 Physical)

Chongo

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:42:48 am »
I think this is great.

O.o

s0ulz

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:45:54 am »
Touch attacks can turn out to be critical hits no matter the server ruleset. It's a peculiarity of the engine, but I agree with Chongo, it gives a little excitement.

Being effectively immune to monster criticals is a boon good enough, this will at least -sometimes- keep you on your feet.

osxmallard

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:51:06 am »
I think we should switch to the hardcore ruleset, turn on monster criticals and auto fail saving throws when you roll a 1 to keep everyone on their feet.

s0ulz

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 05:03:10 am »
Quote from: osxmallard
I think we should switch to the hardcore ruleset, turn on monster criticals and auto fail saving throws when you roll a 1 to keep everyone on their feet.

Sure, I'm all for it, but it would require far too much work to overhaul all the spawns to be in accordance to this. I doubt the team has time for this.

osxmallard

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:32:25 pm »
Perhaps criticals on the monsters would upset the spawn balance a small amount and would take a bit too much of Chongo's time to update.  

However, setting saving throw failures to auto fail on a roll of 1 is a single digit change in the server.ini file and would take zero effort by the team to implement.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »
And, OSX, would make those outstanding saving throws that some PCs rely on MUCH less reliable... Devaluing emerald drop jewelery even further.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »
And make an already tough server much tougher...

Chongo

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:12:19 pm »
Heh, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not osx.  Regardless, there's no way to make us a critical hit server without looking at every creature and spawn size/mix out there.  Then we'd have to look at the weapons.  All that accessory elemental damage that people have gotten used to not fearing due to DR items would suddenly make that 2d12 cold on a scythe much more frightening when you realize it's suddenly a risk of 10d12.  That and players aren't used to getting hit for 150 by a drow with a wimpy looking dagger.  I know that most of my stuff would have to be outright scrapped due to the assumption when building a creature or it's weapon that I wouldn't have to worry about x2,x3,x4, and the gasping x5 multiples.  Without criticals many epic creatures have had to be built with a lot of accessory damage at high numbers to balance for the obligatory 10/- all around DR players have.  It goes out the window when it's a multiplier chance.

Falonthas

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:55:22 pm »
maybe we shoudl have a worldwide plague that takes away all gold and all magic stuff making everyone start all over

then chongo can make his killer critters

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 02:10:08 pm »
Ummm, can we not, and just wait for the Next Gen Layo, which will basically do that for us?

orth

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »
I think the sarcasm-o-meter in this thread is a little high and confusing some folks.

Most likely everything discussed here is going to stay as is as I don't think we have control over turning off criticals for thrown items, it is something hard coded.

We're not going to add autofail on 1s and definitely not going to add npc crits

anything